At first, I had problems screwing the new joint onto the rack threads. It would only screw on the first thread and then get very difficult to turn. I didn't want to force it on. After measuring the thread dia and checking the thread pitch, I determined it was indeed the right thread size. I obtained a 22X1.5mm die and chased the threads on the rack end. All I can say is, there must be a slight interference fit designed into the assembly. I really didn't remove much in the way of material when I chased the threads. (Hardly any at all) The new joint screwed on nicely and I'm confident the repair is proper.